Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Just Don't Feel like it!!

So, I have this rule. If I am going to sit at the computer for hours on end and avoid working or looking for gainful employment, I have to write something – anything. Some days I write four or five blog posts save them in a folder and post them during the week. Some days, I just read everyone else’s blogs and pretend I don’t have time to do my own. Or I use the excuse I can’t get to my keyboard because of this…(which is supposed to be a picture of my daughter's latest rescue. He plops right on my desk in the middle of whatever I am doing and takes a nap! For whatever reason the picture has decided not to leave my camera and join the blog today. Yeah technology is a wonderful thing...) It really is difficult to work around him. We all have something stowed away in the excuse drawer.

The issue is honestly I don’t feel like looking for a job right now. Every one I try, I get no response or a we weren’t looking for you email. No one is really looking at the resume or reading the cover letter. And I am getting really tired of being rejected. It gets to the point of “why bother?” Ok there is that whole we need the money thing but other than that.

I try to stay positive. I am positive this is going to be a long haul. I am looking for the spin here. How do I turn this into something for me and anyone listening (reading) into a teaching/learning moment? I am not sure what I am going to learn from this. I don’t know what to teach then.
Perseverance is going to be a big one. I know with all the competition out there for every job posted I will be one of maybe 100 applicants. I have to keep at it. I have to write each cover letter independently. I have to rework the resume as needed for each posting. I am not fabricating my work history or experience. I am simply reorganizing with different emphasis as the job description dictates. This is a lot of work. And I get really bored after the first couple of times during the day.

I have a feel now for which jobs not to apply to due to the wording of the posting. I also understand which ones are posted but aren’t really available. Those are the ones where someone within the organization has already been chosen for the job but for the legal process to be followed the job has to be advertised and a few interviews held.

I have been on a couple of those recently. The interviewer is looking at the clock behind your head for the whole 28 minutes, talking to his hands about the organization, and doesn’t ask a single useful question. You leave knowing full well that you just wasted the time, gas and dry cleaning bill to make his records appear compliant. Those are the ones you want to look at the creep and say, “Why did you make me come here? You knew you weren’t going to hire me. Couldn’t we have done this non-interview on the phone? Saved us both a lot of time and money.” But, professional courtesy says you can’t do that. Whatever, hope your “new hire” doesn’t work out…. OK not really but what about my time and expense? It is as important to me as yours is to you Mr. Non-interview Man or Woman. Had one of those recently too.

I broadened my idea of a good job and did more searches with the new criteria. I found a few more possibilities but no more solid responses. It is difficult right now. I know some folks that have been looking for work for months. I am hoping, really hoping it doesn’t take that long. We are not independently wealthy people. We need regular incomes to survive. Hubbing is working as much overtime as they will give him. But, that is so not fair to him. He deserves his days off like everyone else does. He will keep at it as long as he can I know. I just don’t know how long that is. I am concerned for his health and well-being. He works in a high stress field. Downtime is imperative for him as it is for all first-responders.

I will keep looking. And I will try to stop whining so much. I just wish it wasn’t so demoralizing.
On we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment